Turkey Lettuce Wrap Taco Recipe
Let’s be honest. During the week, many of us are so pressed for time that cooking dinner can be quite the challenge. Between work, working out and jammie time, there’s a small window for sustenance. So here’s my go-to solution for weeknights: Eat Fit Turkey Lettuce Wrap Tacos. It’s super quick, healthy and delicious. Pepping up our weeknight nutritional nourishment isn’t so bad after all, so make sure to take the time to take care of you. You deserve it!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 8 large lettuce leaves washed and patted dry; I prefer bibb or butter lettuce (these will serve as your taco “shells”)
- 2 ounces shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 8 cherry tomatoes chopped
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream or 2% plain Greek yogurt
- Add olive oil into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and bell pepper and sauté until translucent.
- Add ground turkey and sauté until fully cooked. Make sure to separate and crumble your turkey into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add all the spices: garlic powder, oregano, cumin, sweet paprika and chili powder and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and stir to coat the turkey. Bring to a boil then simmer for a few minutes. Add water if needed to coat the turkey. Turn the burner off.
- Plate your lettuce leaves first, then spoon the ground turkey evenly onto each leaf. Sprinkle the cheese, tomatoes and green onion on each taco. Finish with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt and – Voila! Dinner is served!
This recipe contains 450 mg sodium, 11 grams carbohydrate (8 grams net carbs), 3 grams fiber, 4 grams sugar (0 added sugar) and 25 grams protein per serving.