A healthy Louisiana starts with a healthy you, and Ochsner Health wants to help.
Why? It’s part of a systematic shift from sick care to healthcare, and we can trace the mindset to Ochsner’s mission and vision: to change and save lives. We’ve always focused on saving and changing lives. But now, we’re more broadly defining “changing and saving lives” to include not just those who are sick, but also those who are well.
At Ochsner, we’re committed to helping make Louisiana healthier by focusing on wellness, not just sickness. How can we do that? I’m answering your questions below.
Why is Ochsner prioritizing preventive care?
First and foremost, because it’s the right thing to do. Healthcare is continuing to become unaffordable. The only way to change the dynamic is to get ahead of it and help people live healthier lives. We are committed to wellness, and we want to lead this shift and be more proactive by focusing on prevention and helping to build healthier communities — not just help sick people get better but help well people live longer and live their lives to the fullest.
What is wellness?
There are so many aspects of wellness, whether it is physical, mental, emotional or even financial. One thing is certain, wellness is an active state of self-improvement and focus, and is something you must constantly strive to get better at. We realize that it isn’t easy, and that’s why we want to make sure you have the tools you need to help you along the way.
Our Health & Wellness Solutions Division provides the educational resources, products and services needed for you to play a more active role in your health and wellness journey. Whatever your wellness need is, we’ve got you covered and are here to support and encourage you.
So what’s the first step?
The first step is to select a few wellness areas that you would like to focus on. We have dedicated team members available to help you along the way. If you’re not sure where to start, our Healthy You quiz can help.
What health and wellness services does Ochsner offer?
- Looking to maintain a healthy diet? We have a team of nutritionists who can make sure you are putting the right things into your body. We have dietitians that can meet with you to set goals, make meal plans and even help with your grocery list. If that isn’t for you, we also have our Eat Fit program, which aims to empower our communities with the information they need to make healthy decisions — whether it’s in the grocery store, at their favorite restaurant or even at our local festivals. If you see that Eat Fit seal, you don’t have to worry about if it’s good for you or not — we’re guaranteeing your selection meets our nutritional requirements.
- Are you interested in starting a new exercise routine or program? Check out one of our four Ochsner fitness centers. They all have weight and cardio space and group exercise classes, and many have swimming pools and childcare. I know for me, I need some accountability to get to the gym. It’s one thing to go to the gym and lift weights, but really that group dynamic is key — the camaraderie and the accountability that comes with it really helps. If you are an athlete, we also have our Ochsner Performance Training Program, which is athletic-style small group training, team training and personal coaching. And if you are stuck at home, both offerings have online apps for your convenience.
- Perhaps you are interested in preventative programs? Our Concierge Health offering gives patients the opportunity to have a unique relationship with their physician, who will truly be the quarterback for their health. Because the physician has a smaller patient panel, they have more time to provide their patients with a holistic approach to their healthcare. During the hour-long annual physical, the physician will work with their patients to establish health goals. Patients will then work with a registered dietitian, exercise physiologist and health coach to reach these goals, improving their health and overall well-being.
- Looking to be more present in the moment and practice mindfulness? We have a team of health coaches, mental coaches and virtual mindfulness sessions available online to support your practice.
- Still not sure what you are looking for? We also offer: Vision centers, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, as well as annual physicals and screenings through our Executive Health Program.
How can Louisianans play a more active role in their health?
Part of playing an active role is simply knowing how to do that. At Ochsner, we’ve got all the right team members — health coaches, dietitians, exercise physiologists, you name it! How can you use these resources not only when you’re sick but when you’re well? How do we shift those dynamics to really make Louisiana healthy?
We’re Louisiana’s largest healthcare provider. With that comes a responsibility to help our state and our communities live healthier lives. We want to be a partner to the community and help you along your health and wellness journey. A lot of it is about providing the right education, tools, services and products so you are empowered to play that active role in your health. So remember, a Healthy Louisiana starts with a Healthy You. Take the first step and pick an area of wellness to focus on this year and take the time to take care of you, you deserve it.
A Healthier You Starts Here
Ready to improve your health, but not sure where to start? Take our Healthy You quiz to get personalized recommendations for your goals.