4 Nutritional Benefits of Cottage Cheese for Athletes
When athletes are thinking about foods to incorporate into their training and recovery routines, cottage cheese may not be the first that comes to mind. But when taking a closer look at the nutritional benefits of cottage cheese, it’s a food that definitely deserves to be on the list.
Here are four standout nutritional benefits of cottage cheese:
1. Casein: This is a slow-digesting protein that about 80% of protein in milk accounts for and cottage cheese just so happens to be a top food source of it.
- Benefit to athletes: Its’ fixed release of amino acids helps to repair muscle fibers and prevents muscle breakdown. It can help athletes to minimize muscle loss that can naturally occur overnight while sleeping.
2. Protein: One cup of cottage cheese can account for 25 g of protein.
- Benefit to athletes: It provides a good source of protein to fuel exercise and workouts.
3. Electrolytes: You’d be amazed that just 4 oz of cottage cheese has three times more electrolytes than a full 8 oz sports drink.
- Benefit to athletes: Electrolyte-rich cottage cheese can contribute to optimal athletic performance by helping to reduce muscle cramping and enhance fluid absorption and retention. Keep in mind that while cottage cheese provides electrolytes, you'll still need to drink plenty of water to replenish fluids.
4. Versatility: Fruit is definitely not the only cottage cheese pairing. You can eat it along with your favorite savory foods, such as salsa. Cottage cheese can also be used in recipes as a healthier replacement for sour cream or mayonnaise, and in dressings, sauces, and even chicken salad.
- Benefit to athletes: It can be included in your favorite smoothie recipe.
For more details on this topic, read the full article on nola.com.
Ochsner Health is a proud sponsor of The Louisiana Marathon in Baton Rouge, LA January 14, 2018. The race features something for everyone with a 5K, Kids Marathon, Quarter, Half and Full Marathons. Join Ochsner’s running team at any of the race events and receive a free Ochsner tshirt.
For more information, visit Ochsner.org/run.