Crawfish Boil Quiche
Crawfish season is in full swing and you may be wondering what do with your leftover crawfish after a weekend boil. This creamy dish screams flavor and is perfect for any meal and crowd. Show up to the party, brunch, lunch, dinner or even potluck with Crawfish Boil Quiche by Commander’s Palace featured in The Eat Fit Cookbook.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- Cooking spray
- 1 sweet potato, baked, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, boiled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup boiled, peeled crawfish tails
- 1/2 cup boiled green onions & celery
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a blender, combine eggs and milk and puree for 20 seconds, until fluffy. Spray a 9-inch cast iron pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with wax paper, leaving plenty of extra paper around the rim. Push the waxed paper into the sides and bottom of the pan so it starts to stick and takes the shape of the pan.
- Layer the sliced potatoes in a circular pattern, overlapping slightly to form the bottom crust. Using the bottom of an olive oil bottle or other blunt object, smash the potatoes down into the bottom of the pan to seal the crust into place. As if you were making a pizza, layer on the mushrooms, crawfish and boiled vegetables. Heat in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the mixture is hot all the way through.
- After the ingredients are hot all the way through, remove from oven. In the blender, puree eggs for an additional 30 seconds to incorporate as much air as possible to make them light and fluffy. Pour eggs evenly over the top of the vegetables and return to the oven until the quiche is just set, about another 5 minutes. (This will allow the eggs to cook without color and add a restaurant-quality finish). Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- To serve, hold the extra waxed paper on each side of the cast iron skillet and remove the quiche to a cutting board. Cut with a pizza wheel or sharp knife and serve.
Nutritional information per 1/6th serving: 140 calories, 5 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 480 mg sodium, 12 grams carbohydrate, 1gram fiber, 1.5 grams sugar, 12 grams protein.