Holiday indulgences can still be 100% guilt-free – and good for you – with these festive gluten-free cranberry chocolate chip cookies by Ben McLauchlin, inspired by his Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe in the “Eat Fit Cookbook.”
Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature), divided
- 1/3 cup Brown Swerve
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- ½ cup dark chocolate or bittersweet chips or chips of choice
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces
- Cranberry Swirl
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/8 cup Swerve, granular
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Make cranberry swirl: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the cranberries and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cranberries have popped and can be easily mashed, about 7 minutes. Stir in Swerve and lemon zest and gently mash ingredients. Set aside to cool.
- Make cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix almond flour, gelatin, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat four tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Pour into stand mixer bowl or a large bowl. Add remaining two tablespoons of room temperature butter to the melted butter.
- On medium speed, beat butter, Brown Swerve and vanilla until creamy. Add egg and beat until combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture until combined. Stir milk into cookie dough until evenly mixed. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. Gently fold in cranberry swirl.
- Use a heaping tablespoon or cookie scoop to transfer 1-inch dough balls onto cookie sheet, spacing two inches apart. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cookies cool completely on the cookie sheet. The cookies will remain soft and gooey inside yet crunchy on the outside.