If you are looking for a homemade treat to leave for Santa, Ochsner Fitness Center registered dietitian Rebecca Miller has you covered with this Eat Fit NOLA-Approved truffle recipe:
Chocolate Coconut & Peppermint Truffles (Recipe)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil (or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut flakes, divided
- 2 cups cocoa
- In a food processor, add the melted coconut oil, honey, vanilla, peppermint oil, and sea salt. Blend until well mixed. Add 1 cup of the coconut flakes and pulse to combine. The coconut flakes will break up into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the cocoa powder and then add half the cocoa to the coconut and honey mixture. Pulse to combine. Add the remaining half. Pulse again quickly to fully incorporate.
- Pour the mixture into the same mixing bowl used to sift the cocoa. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- In a blender add the remaining 1 cup of coconut flakes and blend until it resembles, smaller flakes -- almost like snow. Pour the coconut crumbs onto a plate.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the truffle mixture and roll into a ball in your hand. Roll into coconut crumbs. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until needed.