While candied ginger may feel like a nourishing indulgence that combines the health benefits of ginger with a bit of a sweet treat, the reality is that candied ginger can slip in more than five spoonfuls of sugar in every serving. Rather than purchasing the store-bought stuff, consider making your own with this Candied Ginger recipe adapted from The Eat Fit Cookbook.
Candied Ginger Recipe
- 3 inches ginger root, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons Granular Swerve (2 tablespoons reserved)
- ½ cup water
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine ginger slices, Swerve (all but reserved 2 tablespoons) and water. Stir until Swerve dissolves.
- Boil for about 20 minutes, until syrup begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat, strain to remove ginger and let cool.
- Toss ginger slices with reserved Swerve to coat.
- Tip: Save Ginger Simple Syrup for use in a mocktail, iced tea or smoothie.