Brutti Ma Buoni Italian Cookie Recipe
If you’ve dined at Domenica in the Roosevelt New Orleans hotel, you probably remember the little bites of rich, chocolatey goodness that arrive in a little dish with the check. The Eat Fit version, featured in The Eat Fit Cookbook, uses almond flour and Swerve to make a decadent but healthy treat. This recipe makes 160 small cookies. Gift them to a friend, cut the recipe in half, or freeze them to enjoy throughout the holiday season. Watch the recipe video:
For more recipes like this one, check out the Eat Fit Cookbook, a compilation of 125 recipes from 40 Eat Fit partners, at www.EatFitCookbook.com.
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened chocolate (at least 70% cocoa), chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 cups Swerve Granular
- 1/4 cup finely ground espresso
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups stevia-sweetened chocolate chips (such as Lily’s), frozen
- 1/2 cup Swerve Confectioners
- Freeze the chocolate chips ahead of time. Otherwise they will melt while baking, and the cookies won’t have chunks of chocolate.
- Melt both varieties of unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler, taking care not to burn chocolate once it is melted. Whisk in butter.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and Swerve Granular until mixture becomes very thick and pale in color, approximately 6-8 minutes. Slowly stir in melted chocolate, occasionally scraping the sides of the bowl. Fold in flour mixture and scrape bowl again. Add espresso and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Do not overmix or the mixture will get too crumbly. Fold in frozen stevia-sweetened chocolate chips. Spread mixture onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Cover lightly and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
- Roll chilled mixture into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Press gently to flatten. Place cookies in freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll batter in Swerve Confectioners, then arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are slightly puffed and fine lines or cracks appear. Remove from oven and transfer to parchment paper to cool. Sprinkle with additional Swerve Confectioners, if desired, before serving.
Per serving: (1 cookie): 35 calories, 3 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat, 30 mg sodium, 6 grams carbohydrate (2 grams net carbs), 1 gram fiber, <1 gram sugar (0 added sugar), <1 gram protein