Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Recipe)
Broccoli cheddar soup is a delicious and classic soup that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. This variation includes a twist by using protein powder, to increase your protein intake.
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6-1/4 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- Large bowl of ice water
- 4 scoops protein powder (whey or plant-based), unflavored
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup 2% lowfat plain Greek yogurt
- In a small pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes or until slightly caramelized. Add chicken broth and increase heat to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Cover for 15 minutes or until broth has evaporated to half. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add broccoli. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain broccoli and place in ice bath for 2 minutes. Add 3/4 of the broccoli to a blender.
- Add chicken broth mixture to blender. Process for 10 seconds until completely combined. To the blender’s broth mixture, add 1 scoop of the protein powder, 1 cup of cheese and Greek yogurt.
- Blend until smooth, then add the remaining 3 scoops of protein powder one at a time. Make sure each scoop is fully incorporated before adding the next one. Once fully blended, pour soup into serving bowls. Top with remaining broccoli and cheese and serve immediately.