Baked beans are a summertime barbecue staple, but traditional baked beans can pack in upward of 30 grams of sugar and more than 1,000 milligrams of sodium in a single cup. (Yikes!) But this gluten-free, sugar-free version by Swerve is sure to satisfy while keeping your nutrition in check.
Better-For-You Baked Beans Recipe
- 1 pound dried beans of your choice (white beans and lima beans are both great)
- ½ pound bacon with no added nitrates/nitrites
- 1 large white onion
- 1 cup ketchup, unsweetened
- 1 cup Brown Swerve
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place beans in a large bowl and cover with water at least 2 inches over beans. Let sit for at least 24 hours. Drain water from beans and rinse well. Chop onion and bacon into small, bite-sized pieces.
- In a large, heavy pot, add bacon and cook until fat is rendered. Add onion and sauté until fragrant.
- Add beans, ketchup, Brown Swerve, salt, pepper and water. Mix well.
- Bring beans to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Let beans cook on the stovetop for 2 to 2.5 hours, or until desired texture is reached (larger beans may take longer to cook).