Top Picks for Chocolate Protein Bars
Did you know you can satisfy your cravings for sweets while also maintaining a healthy lifestyle? It could be as simple as changing the way you “treat” yourself.
While a square or two of 70 percent dark chocolate is always a good way to treat yourself and satisfy your sweet tooth, there is also a lot of opportunity to pack in some needed protein by choosing chocolate protein bars.
Read on to find out which chocolate protein bars are the best – and worst – of the lot.
Our Top Picks
These bars are packed with protein, have little or no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners.
- 200 calories – 7 grams fat – 22 grams carbs – 7 grams fiber – 5 grams sugar – 14 grams protein
- Ingredients include: Grass-fed whey protein, chicory root fiber, whey protein crisp, oats, glycerin, tapioca syrup, sugar, sunflower oil, almonds, fish oil
- 210 calories – 9 grams fat – 23 grams carbs – 5 grams fiber – 13 grams sugar (0 added sugar) – 12 grams protein
- Ingredients include: Dates, egg whites, cashews, almonds, chocolate, cocoa, sea salt
Bulletproof Fudge Brownie Collagen Protein Bar
- 210 calories – 14 grams fat – 14 grams carbs – 1 gram fiber – 2 grams sugar (0 added sugar) – 11 grams protein
- Ingredients include: Organic cashew butter, grass-fed collagen protein, inulin, Bulletproof ™ XCT oil powder, Bulletproof ™ Brain Octane oil; sweetened with stevia
The following bars can be protein packed, but also have the same amount (or more!) sugar than protein.
Bearded Brothers Mega Maca Chocolate
- 180 calories – 9 grams fat – 22 grams carbs – 4 grams fiber – 14 grams sugar – 5 grams protein
- Ingredients include: Dates, almonds, cashews, maca powder, coconut sugar
Clif Builders Bar Chocolate Peanut Butter
- 280 calories – 10 grams fat – 29 grams carb – 2 grams fiber – 21 grams sugar – 20 grams protein
- Ingredients include: Soy protein isolate, beet syrup, brown rice syrup, cane sugar, oil, peanut butter
ProBar Base Protein Bar Chocolate Bliss
- 280 calories – 9 grams fat – 32 grams carb – 4 grams fiber – 16 grams sugar – 20 grams protein
- · Ingredients include: Soy protein isolate, tapioca syrup, agave syrup, dried cane syrup, oil
The following kinds of chocolate protein bars all have more added sugar than protein. Yikes!
- 250 calories – 5 grams fat – 45 grams carb – 4 grams fiber – 22 grams sugar – 9 grams protein
- Ingredients include: Brown rice syrup, oats, soy protein isolate, organic cane syrup, followed by cane sugar
Lara Bar Chocolate Chip Brownie
- 190 calories – 9 grams fat – 26 grams carb – 4 grams fiber – 20 grams sugar – 4 grams protein
- Ingredients include: Dates, semisweet chocolate chips, almonds, walnuts
GoMacro Bar Dark Chocolate + Almonds
- 270 calories – 11 grams fat – 35 grams carb – 4 grams fiber – 14 grams sugar –10 grams protein
- Ingredients include: Organic brown rice syrup, almond butter, organic protein blend, puffed brown rice, almonds, coconut sugar, etc.
Square Organics Bar Chocolate Coated Crunch
- 210 calories – 9 grams fat – 23 grams carb – 2 grams fiber – 13 grams sugar – 12 grams protein
- Ingredients include: Organic coconut nectar, brown rice protein, dark chocolate, coconut oil, oats
A version of this article originally appeared on WGNO.com. See the full article here.
Note: Registered dietician Molly Kimball offers brand-name products as a consumer guide; she, along with Ochsner Health, do not solicit product samples nor are paid to recommend items.