During the holidays, we are always reminded: ‘tis better to give than to receive.
With #GivingTuesday fast approaching – and with so many admirable charities to support – you might find yourself wondering, “How do I choose who to give to?” But don’t fret. We’ve put together a few simple steps to streamline and de-stress your holiday charitable giving:
- Determine your budget. Consider if you want to support one, two or many nonprofit organizations. Keep in mind, no gift is too small to make an impact!
- Think about your values and what causes align with them. Do you love animals? Maybe you’re a big supporter of the environment? Whatever cause you care about, there is likely a worthy nonprofit that would love your support.
- Decide what type of charity you want to support. Do you care if it’s local versus national? Perhaps it matters to you if it’s a grassroots effort versus a well-established organization. There will be great options that align with your choices.
- Use Guidestar.org to research the nonprofit(s) or cause(s) you’re considering. This database of nearly 3 million nonprofits will allow you to easily find many nonprofit options. The free version will provide you with access to organization’s Form 990, which is what nonprofits file with the IRS, so you can review the organization’s basic financial information.
- Once you have a list of options, read their mission statements to ensure they align with what you want to support. Visit their website, where you should be able to find publications such as annual reports as well as information on specific programs.
- Make your donations and give yourself a pat on the back for helping the community!
Did you know that Ochsner is a 501(c)3 nonprofit? Your tax-deductible gift to Ochsner can go directly to a healthcare cause you care about, such as cancer or diabetes. Join Ochsner and others in the community to support #GivingTuesday on November 27, 2018.