As the season change, so does the fresh produce that is available. Luckily the spring season brings a welcome sight of nutritious and delicious fruits and vegetables that can balance our diet and rejuvenate our bodies.
Not only does in-season produce have more flavor, but it also tends to have a higher nutritional values and can even be cheaper! Support your local farmer’s market and make good use of these vibrant spring foods by trying out a few of the tips below.
- Chives & Spinach: Spread guacamole on a 100% whole wheat bagel thin, layer on spinach, top with a sliced hard-boiled egg (and an extra egg white or two), and garnish with some chives for a well-balanced breakfast full of flavor, fiber and protein.
- Broccoli & Snow Peas: Lightly sauté broccoli and snow peas with a lean protein of choice (flank steak, chicken, shrimp or tofu) for an easy 20 minute stir fry dinner. Enhance the flavor with minced garlic and ginger, lessening the need for high amounts of even low sodium soy sauce.
- Asparagus: Spray with olive oil, toss with black pepper and roast on a sheet tray with some salmon filets, and you have dinner ready in less than 30 minutes with only one pan to clean.
- Endive: Rather than reaching for your nearest chip or cracker, replace them with a vegetable "dipper" into your hummus, Laughing Cow cheese wedge or protein rich spinach and artichoke dip. Click here for the dip full recipe.
- Pineapple: Pair with a small handful of nuts for a snack that satisfies both your sweet tooth and your salty craving.
- Oranges: Pre-slice and prep oranges into containers for the whole week for an easy and refreshing snack. Adding a low-fat string cheese to your snack will help round out the nutrient composition, adding protein to help keep you full and preventing rapid blood sugar spikes.
- Strawberries: For an easy after-dinner dessert, melt some dark chocolate and drizzle on some strawberries for a super nutrient rich, but light dessert.
- Limes: Skip the alcohol, empty calories and added sugars for a festive, spring Avocado-Cilantro Mockgarita.
You've got nutrition questions. We've got answers. Schedule an appointment with one of registered dietitians today.