The holidays are full of indulgences and a plentiful supply of unhealthy treats. It’s easy to buy a bottle of wine or a container of cookies as a gift, but I’m a big fan of putting together themed baskets. They’re easy to customize according to someone’s tastes, needs or even your budget.
Whether you need something to give to your family, friends, co-workers, teachers or neighbors, my list below has you covered with some thoughtful health-minded gifts.
1. NOLA-style Spicy Basket
This is a perfect little piece of NOLA to send to loved ones who live far away:
- Louisiana Sisters Bloody Mary Mix
- Paul Prudhomme Magic Seasoning Spice blends (salt and/or sugar-free)
- Pickled green beans (olives, pickles, etc.)
- Louisiana Hot Sauce
- Coffee & Chicory
- Finish it off with some cute straws, napkins or cocktail glasses to tie it all together.
2. Inspiring Cooks Basket
A basket full of kitchen supplies is a great way to customize a gift for anyone who enjoys cooking, is learning to cook, wants to cook more, has a new home or even to give as a hostess gift. Going the extra mile by having something embroidered or engraved is a great way to personalize it.
- Kitchen utensils (spoons, tongs, cast iron skillet, Dutch oven, colander, knives, etc.)
- Kitchen towels
- Oven mitts
- Homemade jam/jellies
3. Homemade Dinner
For new parents or anyone who needs to stock the freezer with a healthy meal, this homemade dinner basket is just for them. It’s fairly simple, but really shows you care. Make it healthier by stopping by my blog for some recipe ideas.
- Provide a kitchen towel and a dish filled with a delicious already-prepared dinner such as homemade soup or lasagna.
4. At-home Spa Basket
This is a great gift for someone who needs a little more relaxation in their lives. Offering to take care of the kids or cook dinner is an added bonus which will give him or her time to actually pamper the mind and body. Of course, a coupon to get a mani/pedi or a massage is also a great addition or substitute.
- Warm fuzzy socks or slippers
- Manicure set
- Nail polish
- Face mask
- Bubble bath
- Scented candle
5. Fight the Buggies Kit
It’s the peak of cold and flu season and this is great to give someone who may be battling a bug.
- Travel-size hand sanitizer
- Individual packs of tissues
- Cute coffee mug stuffed with tea bags, mini bottle of honey and Emergen-C packs
- Cute bag to put it all in (like a new bag for toiletries)
6. Health and Wellness Bag
If you know someone who is working towards some health and wellness goals, this basket of goodies can help to keep them motivated, well-rested and energized. Here are some ideas of what could be included:
- Embroidered tote bag or workout bag
- Customized water bottle (an initialed Tervis tumbler would be super easy)
- Note of encouragement
- Reusable lunch bags
- A coupon or subscription to various snack or recipe/meal planning/delivery services such as Graze, Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, etc.
- Pedometer or heart rate monitor such as a Fitbit, Polar or Nike
- Coupon to meet with registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) for help with customized and individualized recommendations and meal planning
- Coupon to meet with personal trainer
- Workout clothes
This article also appears in the December 2015 issue of Health & Fitness Magazine .