5 Benefits of a Nutrition Consult
When it comes to getting through a long workday, nutrition plays a key component in increasing or decreasing our energy levels. Food is fuel for the brain, so what we eat vastly impacts how we feel and function daily. Consuming a healthy diet filled with nutrient-dense foods not only increases our energy, but can also help with specific wellness goals such as improving cholesterol, blood pressure and blood glucose levels; aid in decreasing joint pain from eating anti-inflammatory foods; and in general, improving emotional and mental health.
We hear a lot of nutrition information, but what is true and what is just hype? That’s where a registered dietitian comes in. Every person has different nutritional needs, and a meal plan isn’t just a one-size-fits-all deal. A registered dietitian is the ultimate resource to get the scoop on the newest diet trends and learning more about what we really should be eating.
Here are some benefits of meeting with a registered dietitian:
- Cut through the clutter. With the wealth of nutrition resources, which can be overwhelming at times, a registered dietitian is able to personalize recommendations based on your health and personal goals.
- Prioritize your goals. What matters for you? Whether you are looking to lose weight, improve a health condition or enhance sports performance, your nutrition plan is totally contingent upon what matters to you.
- Feel better, look better, live better.Often when your body feels good, so does your mind. Registered dietitians not only discuss your goals, they can also empower you to make the positive changes to your daily routine, which can ultimately enhance your overall wellness.
- Your consultation may be covered by insurance. Although, a nutrition consultation is generally affordable, it doesn’t hurt if your insurance can pick up the tab. Check with your insurance to see if an annual consult is included in your coverage.
- Online visits offer convenience. Nothing is more convenient than staying at home. Some registered dietitians offer virtual visits that allow you to meet with your dietitian via a tablet or smartphone.
Technically, anyone can call himself or herself a nutritionist, however, only a registered dietitian or registered dietitian nutritionist has completed the necessary education and training established by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics. According to nutritionED.org, a registered dietitian in Louisiana must:
- Earn an accredited degree in a designated nutrition-oriented degree
- Complete a minimum of 24 semester hours in nutrition courses
- Participate in nearly 1,000 hours of supervised work experience in the practice of nutrition
- Pass a rigorous certification exam
Registered dietitians, like our team at Ochsner Fitness Center, work vigorously with clients and patients to help you maintain or improve your health. Beyond just following that trendy internet diet, we can guide you through changing your lifestyle. Our nutrition team will help you understand how food fuels your body while not feeling deprived of any specific food group. We develop a customized meal plan that fits any unique need and lifestyle. We love food and want you to love food as well!
To schedule a nutrition consult, whether virtually or in-person, contact us at email@example.com or call us at 504-733-1600.