This white bean ice cream was a collaboration of efforts. Darryl Holliday, assistant professor of food science at the University of Holy Cross, remembered this recipe from years ago, but not the exact measurements. Chef-RD Leah Sarris, executive director of New Orleans Culinary & Hospitality Institute (NOCHI) – and former dietetic intern with our Ochsner Eat Fit team – experimented to find the right measurements, and also cut the sugar. The result: a frozen yogurt-like texture with a slight bean-y taste, that’s surprisingly good.
White Bean Berry Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 large raw egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Swerve Sweetener
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, halved and frozen (can use any type of berries)
- 1/4 cup lowfat milk or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup canned white beans, drained and frozen on a sheet pan in a single layer
- Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth. It doesn’t freeze well, so serve immediately.