Watermelon season is in full swing. Nothing is more refreshing than some ice-cold watermelon on a hot summer day.
Watermelon, Mint, Cucumber and Feta Wedge
- 1 1/2-inch thick round slide of seedless watermelon
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced red onion
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or mint leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 jalapeno, finely sliced, or 1/4 teaspoon of red chili flakes (optional)
- Slice the watermelon into six wedges and arrange on a large serving platter
- In a large bowl, whisk the lime juice, red onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt until the salt dissolves
- Add the cucumber to the bowl and gently toss to coat with the dressing
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the watermelon. Top with basil or mint leaves, feta and jalapeno or crushed red chili to taste. Enjoy!
Tips for selecting a good watermelon:
Look for a melon that is:
- Free of bruises, cuts or dents
- It should feel heavy for its size
- Look for the creamy yellow spot (from where it sat in the field and ripened in the sun)
Steps for cutting up a watermelon to make this salad:
Choose a medium-sized seedless watermelon. Wash the skin and pat dry.
Trim off the stem end with a large, sharp chef’s knife.
Cut a thin piece of rind off the bottom. This will allow the melon to sit upright on your cutting board without rolling around.
Slice off a 1 1/2-inch round slab.
Cut the slab into 6 wedges.
Repeat as necessary.