Vegan Creole Red Beans (Recipe)
You can't go wrong with this healthy, vegan version of the Louisiana staple.
Fat2 grams fat
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time2 hours
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 6 mini bell peppers, diced
- 1 chipotle pepper (packed in adobo sauce), minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 4 cups water (or another 4 cups stock)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Sal & Judy's Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cover the red beans in a large bowl with water and allow to soak overnight. Discard the water and set the beans aside.
- In a large, deep pot or Dutch oven, add the olive oil and warm to medium heat. Sauté the onions, garlic, celery and peppers for a couple of minutes, until soft.
- Add the red beans and cover with chicken stock and water. Stir in the seasonings (bay leaves, thyme, creole seasoning and black pepper). Bring everything to a boil and then reduce heat and allow to simmer for at least 2 hours. Lightly mash some of the beans with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Once the beans are soft and tender, serve over brown rice with a side of veggies (mixed greens, roasted veggies or a salad, for example).