Red Bean Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
They’re adorable, easy to make and nutritious. Just don’t tell anyone they’re centered on red beans and Greek yogurt – at least not before they try them, first!
- 12 ounces Creole Cream Style Blue Runner Red Beans, No Salt Added
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% reduced fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) natural red food coloring
- 1 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Natural red sprinkles, optional
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners-style Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Puree beans, vanilla extract and eggs in a blender or food processor. Add yogurt and continue to blend until all lumps are removed.
- Pour into a bowl and add cocoa powder, food coloring and Swerve.
- In another bowl, mix together coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and vinegar. The mixture should begin to fizz. Add to batter and mix in.
- Grease cupcake pan or spray cupcake liners with cooking spray and pour the batter in, about 4/5 full.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick or knife inserted into the cake comes out clean. Place cakes onto a rack and cool.
- For frosting, mix cream cheese, Swerve and honey until smooth in a food processor, mixer or blender. Spread on top of cupcakes with a knife or spatula, add red sprinkles if desired.