Marinated Beet Italian Salad from DTB Chef Carl Schaubhut includes beets and other root vegetables, anchovies, olives and plenty of fresh herbs.
Marinated Beet Italian Salad recipe from DTB
- 2 medium red beets
- 1/8 cup kalamata olive, pitted and halved
- 1/8 cup green olives, pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 carrot, blanched, shaved into discs
- 1/2 celery rib, blanched, shaved thin
- 1/2 parsnip, blanched, shaved into discs
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 8 shishito peppers, charred
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsely, fresh
- 1 tablespoon oregano, fresh
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh, julienned
- 2 ounces ricotta salata or parmigiana reggiano, shaved
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rub beets with olive oil, place in heat-proof pan and cover with foil. Bake for about 1 hour or until tender. Remove beets from heat and let cool to room temperature. Peel with a paper towel and dice medium
- Toss beets with olives, capers, anchovies and garlic. Mix in carrots, parsnips, celery, shallots and peppers. Pour in oil, mustard and vinegar while mixing ingredients. Sprinkle in crushed red pepper, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Chill at least 4 hours overnight. Mix well and place beet salad on top of portioned and plated arugula. Garnish each salad with the herbs, ricotta and sesame seeds.
Find more healthy restaurant dishes in the new "Eat Fit Cookbook.''