Make a Healthy, Gluten-Free Apple Crisp in a Few Steps
When it comes to the classics, nothing beats a fresh, warm apple crisp! And while traditional versions of this dish are high in added sugar and fat, the Eat Fit version by Swerve is not only delicious and nutritious but can be made and served in under 45 minutes. The recipe below is naturally gluten and dairy-free and has 5 grams of fiber and 0 grams of added sugar.
Pro tip: When it comes to selecting the apples, opt for versions that are naturally sweeter like Jazz, Honeycrisp, Red Delicious, or Gala apples instead of Granny Smith, which is tart.
- 6 cups of apples peeled, cored (about 2-3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons Swerve, Granular
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup oats
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°. Butter a 10-inch round baking pan or 8-inch square pan. Toss apples with ½ teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons Swerve. Add to buttered pan.
- Add to a food processor ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, ½ cup Swerve, butter, oats and nuts. Pulse a few times, just until the ingredients are combined. Do not puree! You can also mix the ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter.
- Spread topping over apples. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the topping is browned, and the apples are tender. Let the crisp sit for about 30 minutes before serving.