This zesty slow cooker soup is loaded with chicken, diced tomatoes and black beans in a mildly spicy broth.
Low Salt Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups no-salt chicken broth
- 2 fresh-diced fresh green chilies or jalapeños
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, divided
- 2 fresh limes, juiced
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 to 5 boneless chicken thighs
- Garlic powder and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Suggested side:
- Farro, quinoa or pearl couscous; suggested serving size: 1 cup
- Optional toppings:
- Shredded Swiss cheese, low-fat sour cream, cilantro or sliced avocado
- In a slow cooker, combine the diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, onion, garlic, one-fourth cup cilantro, lime juice and cumin. Place the chicken thighs into the slow cooker add the chicken broth, submerging all the ingredients.
- Cook for 4 to 6 hours. When the chicken is fully cooked, remove from the slow cooker and shred with two forks, pulling apart the chicken. Return shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Prepare and cook your desired grain according to the instructions and place in a bowl, then when ready, add the soup on top to ensure the grain does not soak up all the broth. Garnish with the remaining cilantro and other desired toppings.