King Cake Hot Cocoa Bombs Recipe
If you love hot cocoa bombs – those adorable balls that “explode” into hot chocolate when added to hot milk – you’ll go nuts over this Carnival-themed treat by Ben McLauchlin of Swerve. These white chocolate spheres filled with the flavors of king cake and decorated with the colors of Mardi Gras aren’t just pretty, they’re also guilt free, with just 3 grams of net carbs and less than 2 grams of sugar per bomb.
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons Swerve Confectioners
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Lily’s white chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oil
- 2 Smashmallow cinnamon churro marshmallows, cut into 24 mini marshmallows
- 1 cup milk of choice (we used unsweetened almond milk)
- 6 tablespoons Swerve granular separated and combined with natural food coloring (2 tablespoons each for purple, green and gold)
- 2-inch round sphere molds (typically come with six to a mold; available on Amazon)
- Combine cocoa powder, Swerve and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk and set aside. Place chocolate chips and oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 25 seconds. Remove chips and oil mixture and stir. Place back in microwave for another 15 seconds. Remove from microwave and whisk. Set aside.
- With the back of a spoon and/or paintbrush, brush the white chocolate mixture on the sides of both sides of the molds to create the round shell. (Reserve about ¼ of the chocolate mixture for drizzling.) Make sure you add plenty to the rim of the mold because the tops tend to be more fragile and need a thicker layer.
- Place the mold in the fridge to chill for five minutes. This will allow the white chocolate coating to set. Take molds out of the fridge and reapply another layer of the white chocolate mixture evenly specifically to those rims. Place in the fridge for another 10 minutes to completely chill and set. Remove mold and gently remove each of the shells from the mold.
- In six of the sphere halves, place three teaspoons of the hot cocoa mixture and top with four mini marshmallows.