Healthier Holiday Cookies: Whole Grain Apple Oat Cookies
Looking for healthier holiday cookies to give to Santa? This recipe only uses whole grains like whole wheat pastry flour, old fashioned oats, and flax seeds.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup Stevia in the raw
- 3/4 cup Turbinado sugar
- 3/4 cup milled flax seed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup dark (or semisweet) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, Stevia, and sugar together. Blend in the flaxseed. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and combine well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and oats. Mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix together. Fold in the chocolate chips, pistachios, and craisins.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop the dough onto the cookie sheet and shape with the bake of the spoon until slightly flattened (these will not spread out very much).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.