Looking for healthier holiday cookies to give to Santa? This recipe only uses whole grains like whole wheat pastry flour, old fashioned oats, and flax seeds.
Healthier Holiday Cookies: Whole Grain Apple Oat Cookies
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup Stevia in the raw
- 3/4 cup Turbinado sugar
- 3/4 cup milled flax seed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup dark (or semisweet) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, Stevia, and sugar together. Blend in the flaxseed. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and combine well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and oats. Mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix together. Fold in the chocolate chips, pistachios, and craisins.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop the dough onto the cookie sheet and shape with the bake of the spoon until slightly flattened (these will not spread out very much).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.