Healthful Mardi Gras Cake Pops (Recipe)
An easy, healthful, sweet treat for the Carnival season!
Fat7 grams fat, 0 saturated
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
- 1 Double Chocolate Chunk Quest Bar
- 1⁄ 2 cup vanilla protein powder (e.g. Quest Vanilla Milkshake Protein Powder)
- 1⁄ 2 cup almond flour
- 1 1⁄ 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons zero-calorie sweetener (such as Swerve Sugar Replacer or Truvia)
- 1⁄ 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄ 4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Coconut cooking spray
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (e.g. Quest Vanilla Milkshake Protein Powder)
- 3 1⁄ 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄ 4 cup zero-calorie sweetener (such as Swerve Sugar Replacer or Truvia)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄ 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mardi Gras Coating
- 6 ounces sugar-free white chocolate (e.g. 5 Sparrows)
- ¼ cup each purple, yellow, green colored sugar sprinkles (try homemade with natural food coloring and Swerve or Truvia)
- 18 colorful straws, cut to half-size
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, heat unwrapped Double Chocolate Chunk Quest Bar® for 10 seconds.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the bar out to 1⁄4-inch thickness. Bake for 4 minutes, or until bar is lightly crisped. Remove to cool. Break the crisped bar into pieces, place in a mini blender, and blend into a crumbly powder.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, add vanilla protein powder, the crumbled Double Chocolate Chunk Quest Bar, almond flour, cocoa powder, zero-calorie sweetener, baking soda, and salt, and mix well. Add almond milk and vanilla extract. Blend cake base until fully incorporated and mixed well.
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in batter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and cake is completely cooked and springy. Remove and let cool. Break the cake into small pieces, and place in a large mixing bowl.
- For the frosting: In a medium-size bowl, add vanilla protein powder, cream cheese, zero-calorie sweetener, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Assembly: Add frosting to crumbled cake, and mix together until all frosting is incorporated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove cake from freezer. Take a small amount of cake batter and form eighteen walnut-sized balls.
- Break chocolate into even-size small pieces and heat slowly to melt.
- Carefully dip each cake ball into melted white chocolate. Gently tap the edge to remove excess. Place each pop on wax paper and insert colorful straws. Chill for 10 minutes in freezer, or until white chocolate hardens and creates a shell.
- Roll in colored sugar sprinkles to decorate in festive Mardi Gras colors!