Creamy Pumpkin and Chicken Casserole Recipe
This creamy chicken pumpkin casserole is sure to be a favorite fall fish. This dish has pumpkin and chicken and is topped with a delicious sauce and baked to perfection.
- 1 large spaghetti squash, about 5 cups cooked
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups pumpkin or squash of choice, peeled and diced
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cups spinach
- For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayo, homemade or store bought
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Wash and slice spaghetti squash in half, scoop out seeds. Place on baking sheet and roast spaghetti squash for about 30 to 40 minutes at 400-degree F. Remove from oven, allow to cool. Using a fork, scrape and fluff the strands from the sides of the squash. Set aside for later use.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, shallots, and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until onions become translucent. Add in cubed pumpkin or squash and cook until almost tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add in cubed chicken, salt, and pepper to taste. Continue cooking for about 8 minutes.
- Add in 2 cups of spinach and cook for 3-5 minutes or until spinach starts to wilt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix all sauce ingredients together and set aside. Grease an 8″ x 8″ (or similar sized) casserole dish.
- Add spaghetti squash to greased casserole dish. Layer in pumpkin and chicken mixture, and top with the sauce. Garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.