Summer’s the perfect time to fire up the grill, but your choice of BBQ sauce can make it or break it, nutritionally speaking. Avoid the sugar overload with this low-carb, DIY barbecue sauce, a twist on an original recipe by Swerve.
Chipotle Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chipotle powder, depending on how hot you like it
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, Swerve, Worcestershire, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender or use an immersion blender to puree. Return puree to saucepan.
- Add whiskey, vinegar chili powder and chipotle powder, and return to a simmer. Cook until significantly thickened, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.