Chicken and Cabbage Soup Recipe
Do you have a LOT of leftover cabbage from St. Patrick's Day parades? Use it in this simple chicken and cabbage soup recipe, which is low in fat and calories, but big on flavor!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cups green cabbage, chopped or shredded
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 7 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (optional)
- 1-3 cups cooked chicken, turkey or lean meat of choice, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in onion, garlic, carrots, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, if desired.
- Sauté for about 2-3 minutes until slightly tender.
- Add cabbage, water, thyme, and teaspoon of sea salt, if desired. Stir.
- Bring soup to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until cabbage is tender, but not mushy.
- Stir in cooked chicken, turkey, or lean meat as desired.
Nutrition information is based on using two cups of chicken.