Billows and Thieves Zero-Proof Cocktail Recipe
Ash Wednesday marks the start of Lent, and whether Catholic or not, many of us choose to give up something for Lent; that “something” is often alcohol. So, here’s the #AlcoholFreeFor40 Challenge: Use this time for a self-experiment to see what’s really happening to your body during this detox. And make it easier than ever to stick with your #AlcoholFreeFor40 resolution with Swerve’s free digital “Off the Sauce" recipe book.
One of my favorites from the book: a beautiful Billows and Thieves zero-proof cocktail, featuring a cardamom-cinnamon simple syrup made with Swerve Brown Sugar, grapefruit, lemon and coffee. Yes, grapefruit, coffee and spices. Originating from The Bonnie in Queens, New York, the combination may sound rather unusual but trust me – it tastes incredible.
- Mocktail base
- 3 ounces fresh grapefruit juice
- ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce cold brew coffee concentrate
- ½ ounce cardamom-cinnamon syrup
- Cardamom-cinnamon syrup
- 2 cracked cinnamon sticks
- 3 cracked cardamom pods
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup Brown Swerve
- To make the cardamom-cinnamon syrup, toast the cinnamon sticks over medium heat in a small pot, shaking occasionally until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients, simmer for five minutes, then allow to cool. Strain and discard the spices, then store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- To make the cocktail, combine the grapefruit juice, lemon juice, coffee and cardamom-cinnamon simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Add ice, seal and shake until ice cold, about 20 seconds.
- Double strain into a coupe and enjoy.