Apples and Arugula with Pumpkin on Toast
This delicious recipe features pumpkin, ricotta, fresh arugula and your choice of apple slices.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese, part skim
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup fresh peeled apples, sliced
- Mix the pumpkin, ricotta, cumin, lemon juice and pepper together well. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the arugula with the orange juice and the apple slices. Set aside.
- Brush both sides of the sourdough slices with olive oil and grill on a hot grill, griddle or panini press until toasted.
- Spread the pumpkin mixture over the toast and top with the arugula and apple mix. Garnish with sliced green onions.
Because pumpkin is so rich in beta carotene it is known to support vision. Pumpkins have been a part of American cuisine for centuries.