What is a Virtual Visit?
These days you can do almost everything online. Why shouldn’t you be able to see a doctor online too? Virtual visits or video visits make that a reality.
According to the American Telemedicine Organization, more than half of all U.S. hospitals use telemedicine , including Ochsner Health. A virtual visit is a video conference between you and your provider.
Virtual video visits are possible through two different Ochsner services.
- Ochsner Anywhere Care offers urgent care on demand visits and behavioral health scheduled appointments.
- Virtual Visits through MyOchsner are secure video appointments with an Ochsner provider.
What is Ochsner Anywhere Care?
After you download the Ochsner Anywhere Care App, you can be seen by an expert provider 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via a video connection just like Zoom, Skype or Facetime.
What conditions can be treated with an urgent care virtual visit?
- Cold/flu and cough
- Allergies and sinus issues
- Urinary tract infections
- Pink eye
- Sore throats
- Stomach aches
COVID-19 symptoms can be very similar to the flu or cold. If you develop these symptoms, you can conduct a virtual visit with a provider.
- Shortness of breath
What behavioral health and well being conditions can be treated with an urgent care virtual visit?
- Adolescent, marriage and family, and grief and loss counseling
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Attention deficit disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Depression and mood disorders
- Eating disorders
- Postpartum depression
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
When necessary, your Ochsner Anywhere Care provider will recommend you go to an emergency room. And the provider may recommend you make a follow-up appointment with a primary care provider or a specialist.
Virtual Video Visits through MyOchsner
What is a MyOchsner virtual visit?
For some visits, we may be able to move your appointment to a virtual visit through MyOchsner. Your care team may reach out to you if this is appropriate for your visit.
A virtual visit is a secure video appointment with your provider via your smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer. This allows patients to conduct a traditional office visit with their provider electronically through the MyOchsner app or website portal without leaving home or work.
What are the technical requirements for a MyOchsner virtual visit?
- You must have a smartphone, mobile tablet, laptop and/or desktop computer.
- Microphone and webcam capabilities on your device
- If using a mobile phone or tablet, you will need:
- iOS or Android operating system
- The MyOchsner app installed and Ochsner Health selected as your healthcare provider
- You can find the MyOchshner app in the App Store (iPhone) and Google Play Store (Android