What Does Acupuncture Do?
Acupuncture is a medical practice with origins in China dating back 3,000 years. Stemming from traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture is based on channels of energy, called Qi (pronounced chee), that flow throughout the body. When energy is in balance, it is believed that the body can quickly self-heal.
Acupuncture needles are used to tap into those pathways to promote healing. Acupuncture has the strongest evidenced-based backing in all alternative or complementary medicine research. These needles have advanced and modernized over time from bronze, stone and bones to stainless steel sterile needles as small as a strand of hair.
Surprisingly, acupuncture is a fun experience as it promotes the release of “feel-good” hormones, which make you instantly happy. It is gentle enough that you barely feel a thing. Many patients will say “Is it in yet?” after the tenth needle is inserted. Although most patients will seek out acupuncture for a specific concern, such as a recent injury or to manage long-term pain, they often leave with these added benefits:
- Mood Enhancement – Get immediate improvement in clarity, focus and concentration. As the treatment calms you down, tension from stress is naturally melting away. It is also linked to improved energy and dementia prevention.
- Sleep Improvement – Get ready for quality sleep that is restorative and with fewer disturbances after your first treatment. This effect will compound as you continue to receive cumulative sessions. Treatment can help reduce the effects of sleep disorders like insomnia.
- Strengthened Immunity – Getting acupuncture is a great way to prevent you and your family from catching colds throughout the year, reducing the frequency of colds and flus and helping to shorten their lifespan when they do occur. Ask your acupuncturist about maintenance treatments for prevention.
- Improved Circulation – It is excellent for cold hands and feet and controlling the condition of the stomach, improving digestion and absorption, and moving the blood. When the blood is circulating the metabolism of our body will improve, making it easier to discharge excess fat.
- Release of Endorphins – A release of your body’s natural painkillers occurs during treatment. Acupuncture is often used as an alternative or adjunct to addiction and may help prevent opioid-use relapse.
- Increased Collagen – The secret to looking younger is in a needle. A natural beauty enhancer, acupuncture can smooth, firm and tone the skin. For more information, ask your acupuncturist about cosmetic acupuncture.
- Promotes Fertility – Some studies have shown an increase in pregnancy rates with acupuncture in couples who have infertility. Treatments can also help some women manage pain and discomfort throughout pregnancy.
Now that you know some of the health benefits, I hope you feel empowered to make the informed decision to schedule a treatment today. Acupuncture is safe, has minimal side effects, and can be combined with other treatments or therapies for even better outcomes and faster relief.
Call 877-889-2976 to schedule an acupuncture appointment with Michelle Kim.
Take control of your health today and give acupuncture a try!