What better way to enjoy a hot summer afternoon than with a scoop of your favorite ice cream? However, if you’re trying to melt away any extra calories, the last thing you’ll want to do is fill your cone or cup with more sugar and fat than yummy goodness.
No fear, ice cream lovers! You can still enjoy your favorite summertime treat without the guilt of ruining a healthy diet. In a recent “Love It, Like It, Hate It” segment, I shared my top picks for better-for-you ice cream options that will help keep your figure summer-ready while leaving your taste buds happy at the same time.
The following nutrition facts are for each ½ cup serving.
Halo Top Ice Cream
- (For most) 60-90 calories; 1 gram saturated fat; 13-16 grams carbs; 5-7 grams sugar; 5 grams protein
- Ingredients include milk, cream, eggs, erythritol, prebiotic fiber, milk protein, organic cane sugar, stevia
Enlightened 'Light' Ice Cream
- (For most) 100 calories; 2 grams saturated fat; 19 grams carbs; 5-7 grams sugar; 6 grams protein
- Ingredients include milk, milk protein, erythritol, tapioca syrup, cane sugar, monkfruit, butter, coconut oil, eggs
Trader Joe’s Light Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- 120 calories; 1 gram saturated fat; 18 grams carbs; 6 grams sugar; 8 grams protein
- Ingredients include nonfat milk, cream, milk protein concentrate, inulin, cane sugar, egg yolks, stevia, monkfruit
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter.
Rebel Ice Cream
- (For most) 160 calories; 9 gram saturated fat; 14 grams carbs; 0 sugar; 2 grams protein
- Ingredients include cream, erythritol, butter, chicory root fiber, egg yolks, vegetable glycerin, milk protein isolate, monkfruit
- 35-45 calories; 0 saturated fat; 9 grams carbs; 5 grams sugar; 1 gram protein
- Ingredients include water, cane sugar, prebiotic fiber, faba bean protein concentrate, gums, sea salt, monk fruit
250 calories; 16 grams saturated fat; 6 grams carbs; 1 gram sugar; 2 grams protein
Ingredients include dream, grass-fed butter, xylitol, egg yolks
- 90 calories; 1.5 grams saturated fat; 16 grams carbs; 11 grams sugar; 2 grams protein
- Ingredients include skim milk, cane sugar, prebiotic fiber, cream, whey protein concentrate
Cado Avocado Frozen Dessert
- 170 calories; 1.5 grams saturated fat; 18 grams carbs; 12 grams sugar; less than 1 gram protein
- Ingredients include avocado puree, avocado oil, organic cane sugar, organic tapioca starch, sea salt, organic guar gum, organic gum acacia
Follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@MollyKimballRD) and check out her weekly podcast, Fueled, here.