As we ease into the new year, the resolutions start to set in. With only eight percent of people successfully achieving their resolution, people often begin to look for ways to help keep their exercise, movement and health goals alive.
And as technology and innovations continue to advance, there are a number of good options to help you track and compare your fitness goals, in the form of downloadable apps, which are great resources as you plan your New Year’s resolutions.
Some of our favorite apps to help navigate your health this year!
Fooducate | Cost: Free
- Scan over 250,000 product barcodes to see a personalized nutrition grade (A, B, C, or D).
- Get suggestions for healthy foods based on foods you scan.
- Ask questions and get feedback from the community.
- Analyzes information found in product nutrition panels and ingredient lists, such as:
- Added sugars
- Tricky trans fats
- High fructose corn syrup
- Controversial food colorings
- GMO - genetically modified organisms (premium feature)
- Additives and preservatives
- Artificial sweeteners such as aspartame
Shopwell | Cost: Free
- Scan products to get personalized food scores.
- Take your healthy grocery list to the store.
- Find foods that match your needs. Great for those who have food allergies or want to avoid certain foods.
- Get nutrition facts and ingredients.
MyFitnessPal | Cost: Free
- Track your diet and exercise.
- Largest food database of any calorie counter – over 5 million foods and growing daily.
- Easiest and fastest food entry – remembers your favorites, add multiple foods at once, save and add entire meals and more.
- Built-in step tracker - iPhone users can track steps right from their phone, no separate tracker required.
- Barcode scanner - track a food just by scanning its barcode. Over 4 million barcodes recognized.
- Track all major nutrients: calories, fat, protein, carbs, sugar, fiber, cholesterol and more.
Map My Fitness | Cost: Free
- Can track workouts, running, cycling, walking and there is a calorie counter.
- Over 600 different types of workouts; can join challenges, connect devices and view 24/7 activity data.
- Add your athletic shoes and start tracking mileage with Gear Tracker. Provides helpful insight such as how to avoid common injuries and get notified when it’s time for a new pair of shoes.
- Record GPS-based workouts with customizable voice feedback for precise stats like pace, route, distance, calorie burn, elevation profile and more.
- Sync your account with other health and nutrition apps like MyFitnessPal and Google Fit.
Manage Your Health
iHealth My Vitals | Cost: Free
- Must sync devices with the app.
- Automatically tracks and manages your key health vitals all in one place.
- This is really great for someone who needs to monitor blood pressure and pulse due to an underlying condition.
Livestrong MyQuit Coach | Cost: Free
- Creates a personalized plan to help you quit smoking.
- Physician approved, interactive and easy to use so you can evaluate your current status, set attainable goals and adjust preferences according to your needs.