Questions to Ask Your Daycare During COVID-19
Choosing the right childcare center or daycare program for your little one can be difficult under any circumstances, but during the COVID-19 outbreak, there are even more considerations. Below are a few questions you may want to ask potential daycares to help you make the most informed choice for your child and your family.
- What is the tuition or fees?
- Is there a waitlist?
- What is the educator to child ratio?
- What do you serve for meals?
- How do you handle frozen or pumped breast milk or formula?
- What is a typical day like at your childcare center?
- How do you handle discipline problems, such as biting, hitting or bullying?
- What is the visitor policy for parents or family members during the average day?
- What do your drop off and pick up procedures look like?
- What happens if you need to miss a day due to a vacation or illness?
- What are the potty-training procedures?
- What degrees or certification does your staff hold?
- How do parents stay up to date with their child’s daily activities?
- Do you administer medicine or emergency allergy treatment?
- How do you notify parents in the event of an illness or injury?
- What security measures do you have in place?
- Are you licensed or accredited? If so, by whom?
COVID-19 Childcare Considerations:
- Are tours of your facility available at this time?
- Are you implementing daily temperature checks for children and staff?
- Are guests being screened by temperature and/or symptoms?
- What are your handwashing and hygiene practices for the children and staff?
- How are you practicing distancing in each classroom?
- Does your staff wear masks?
- Are you keeping groups of children separate to limit contact and/or potential spread?
- How many children will be in my child’s classroom?
- What is the procedure for staff members or children who appear to have symptoms or have been exposed to someone who is sick?
- What will you do if a staff member or child tests positive for COVID-19?
- What happens if my child shows symptoms of COVID-19? How will you isolate them until I can pick them up?
- What is your primary source for COVID-19 information?
- How often do you sanitize the toys and materials used by the children?
- Are visitors and volunteers allowed at this time?
Make an appointment with pediatrician Jane Curry, MD.