If you make homemade pies, but prefer a pre-made pie crust, you may have noticed a few more options on shelves, some whole grain, some gluten free. But can we really believe the marketing?
We've got the top picks and worst bets, plus what to look for on labels, as seen on WGNO's "Love It, Like It, Hate It" segment.
Homemade Shortbread Pie Crust | Ben McLauchlin of Swerve
- Naturally gluten-free with zero added sugar; Vegan option as well
- Almond flour, coconut flour, Swerve sweetener (sugar replacement), coconut oil
Wholly Wholesome Organic Whole Wheat 9” Pie Shells
- Per 1/8 of crust: 110 calories – 4 grams saturated fat – 9 grams carbohydrate – 2 grams fiber
- Ingredients: whole wheat flour, organic palm oil, water, organic cane sugar, sea salt.
The Fillo Factory “Whole Wheat” Fillo Dough
- Per 2 sheets: 150 calories – 0 saturated fat – 30 grams carbohydrate – 2 grams fiber
- A blend of white + whole wheat flour
- Ingredients include white flour, whole wheat flour, wheat start, tapioca starch
Mini Fillo Shells by Athens
- Per shell: 15 calories – 0 saturated fat – 2 grams carbohydrate – 0 fiber
- Just white phyllo dough, but only 15 calories & 2 grams carb each, perfect for bite-sized portion control
Honey Maid Graham Cracker Crust
- Per 1/8 of crust: 110 calories – 2.5 grams saturated fat – 14 grams carbohydrate – 0 fiber
- Ingredients: white flour, vegetable oil, sugar, graham flour (whole grain wheat, high fructose corn syrup, honey)….
Mrs. Smith’s Deep Dish Pie Crust
- Per 1/8 of crust: 130 calories – 3.5 grams saturated fat – 14 grams carbohydrate – 0 fiber
- Ingredients: wheat flour (translation: white flour), palm oil, water, sugar, soybean oil
Pillsbury Pet-Ritz “All Vegetable” Deep Dish Pie Crust
- Per 1/8 of crust: 90 calories – 2.5 grams saturated fat – 11 grams carbohydrate – 0 fiber
- Ingredients: Enriched wheat flour (translation: white flour), hydrogenated soybean oil, sugar… plus contains yellow 5, yellow 6