Lighten Up Your Lemonade
As the saying goes, when you have lemons, you’ve got to make lemonade! Always the quintessential refreshing beverage, I wanted to also share some tips for lightened up lemonade options.
- Sweeten without sugar - Try sweetening lemonade with a natural, low-calories sweetener like New Orleans-owned Swerve Sweetener or Truvia, instead of sugar. You can save 25 grams of sugar (a day’s worth of added sugar for girls!) in every 8-ounce cup.
- Get more lemon juice – Squeeze even more juice from lemons by juicing them at room temperature instead of them being chilled. If your lemons are cold and you need to juice them immediately, you can pop them in the microwave for a few seconds or soak them in a bowl of warm water to get the juices flowing.
- Instant lemonade fix – If you are looking for a quick, all-natural and lower-sugar alternative to pre-made lemonade mixes try Crystal Light Pure. It’s naturally colored with turmeric, and naturally sweetened with stevia and just a bit of sugar. Each powered flavored stick adds just 30 calories to a 16-ounce bottle of water.
And remember to say hydrated! A good rule of thumb is to aim for at least half of your body weight in ounces of fluid, but it’s not just water that helps to keep us hydrated and even lemonade counts toward our daily fluid intake!
An added bonus to drinking lemonade is the health benefits that lemons provide. Lemons contain unique flavonoid compounds that have antioxidant and anti-cancer properties and are an excellent source of vitamin C, one of the most important antioxidants in nature.
Make Your Own Skinny Lemonade
- ⅔ cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup Lemon Juice or Concentrate
- 2¼ cups cold water
- Dissolve Swerve in 1 cup of hot water.
- Add lemon juice concentrate and cold water.
- Stir and serve over ice with lemon wedge garnish
Yield – One Quart, Serves 4