How to Make Zero-Sugar Simple Syrup
Traditional simple syrup is made with equal parts water and sugar. But added sugars add calories and contribute to inflammation and spikes and drops in blood sugar, thus leading to more cravings for sugary carbs.
Here’s an easy guide to make your own simple syrup with your choice of sugar-free Swerve or allulose sweetener. Make a batch to keep on hand for crafting your favorite zero-carb, zero-proof cocktails during the #AlcoholFreeFor40 Challenge.
Eat Fit Simple Syrup recipe
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup Swerve granular or 1½ cups granular allulose
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Reduce to medium-high heat and add sweetener. Stir to dissolve and continue to heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a heat-safe glass container and refrigerate to chill. Store unused portion in airtight container in refrigerator for up to four weeks.
- Optional: Mix things up by infusing simple syrup with herbs or spices like rosemary, basil, thyme or ginger when heating.
A few things to note
- Simple syrup made with allulose has a neutral flavor and a mild sweetness. The allulose dissolves fully and doesn’t recrystallize or settle to the bottom, even when refrigerated.
- Swerve-sweetened simple syrup is a notch sweeter than allulose syrup with a sweetness profile more like traditional simple syrup. Be aware that it does tend to recrystallize relatively quickly, however.
- If you’re not into the DIY approach, several plant-based, zero-sugar simple syrups are available in stores or online. Two of my favorites are Allulose Syrup by Wholesome and Swoon’s monk fruit simple syrup.
Zero-proof cocktail recipes
Now that you’ve whipped up your Eat Fit simple syrup, why not try shaking things up with a tasty zero-proof cocktail? We’ve got a few recipes to get you started:
- French 75 Zero-Proof Cocktail
- Ritual Old Fashioned Zero-Proof Cocktail Recipe
- Billows and Thieves Zero-Proof Cocktail
- Big Easy Cucumber Cooler by El Guapo Bitters
- Nectar of the Gods Zero-Proof Cocktail
- Grapefruit Rosemary Spritzer
For more on plant-based sweeteners, check out my podcast episode about them here. While you’re at it, get the full rundown on Eat Fit simple syrups in “CRAFT: The Eat Fit Guide to Zero Proof Cocktails”, which will hit store shelves this fall. Preorder your copy and get 20% off with promo code AFF40 here.