Gym Etiquette and Manners
OK, you guys! Listen up! We need to talk about not behaving badly in the gym. You can make or break someone’s gym day if you are guilty of any of these misbehaviors. If you’re in the weight room or cardio room, it’s important to be aware of your behavior and how it affects your fellow gym rat.
Here are some tips to keep you in line and avoid getting the stink eye from that stranger next to you.
- Clean up your equipment with the disposable wipes positioned throughout the gym after you’ve finished your sets.
- Limit grunting sounds when you are pushing or pulling forcefully.
- Don’t drop your weights to cause a seismic shift in the room. We know you’re a tough guy or gal already!
- Don’t hog up more than one machine at a time. If you’re super-setting and the gym is busy, this is not the time to do this. Be flexible with which machine or exercise you could do. For example, if you want to use the abductor and adductor machine and they are busy, try the multi-hip machine. Also, do not spend time seated at the machine or bench on your smart phone scrolling on Facebook or Instagram in between sets.
- If you’re on the treadmill, stair stepper, elliptical trainer, bicycle, etc., use for only 30 minutes when you’re there during peak hours. Someone may be waiting to use your machine!
- Put your weights (toys) back where you picked them up. Put the correct free weight in the correct space provided for it.
- Don’t walk away from the gym with gear from the weight room or gym towels.
- Respect the personal space of those around you; don’t talk on your cell phone or ear buds. Leave the workout area to carry on your personal conversations.
- Be careful about your safety. Wear closed-toe shoes and carefully move around the gym slowly and deliberately. Watch where you’re going, especially if you’re already back on your phone looking down.
- Lastly, if you have any problems with the equipment or a member’s behavior, please go to the front desk at the entry and ask to speak with the manager on duty.
Thank you for listening! We all will have a much more pleasant time at the gym if we follow these basic tips.
Learn more about Ochsner Fitness Center.