Taking gummies to help with sleep has become increasingly popular among consumers. They are generally easy to consume and typically come in delicious flavors that make taking them a breeze, but are they the best option out there, and should you be taking them every night?
Approximately 50-70 million U.S. adults, or 1 in 3 people, have a sleep disorder, including insomnia, sleep deprivation and sleep apnea, among many others. For those who have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep, you might have considered a sleep aid, like gummy melatonin. Before you go out to the pharmacy and buy an over-the-counter sleep aid gummy, you should first discuss your sleep habits with your physician to see why you might have issues getting to sleep or staying asleep. It is essential to establish healthy sleep habits before treating them with natural supplements or medications. Sometimes simple behavior changes before bedtime may help you get a good night's rest. This includes turning off electronic devices and the television at least 30 minutes before bedtime, limiting light exposure in the evening and avoiding caffeine, alcohol and excessive fluids. You should also keep the bedroom quiet and at a cool temperature.
What is melatonin?
Despite practicing good sleep hygiene, many individuals may still suffer from sleepless nights and may consider picking up a sleep aid gummy from their local pharmacy. To decide if it is the right fit for you, let’s first discuss what melatonin is. Melatonin is the most common over-the-counter sleep aid, and it is an essential natural hormone produced by the body for sleep. Melatonin plays a critical role in regulating our circadian rhythm, which is the body’s natural sleep-wake cycle. It is produced by the brain in response to darkness and makes your body feel tired.
How much and how frequently should you take a sleep gummy?
Gummy melatonin dosing ranges from 1 milligram to 10 milligrams nightly and should be taken at the lowest effective dose to prevent morning grogginess or daytime drowsiness. While it is safe to take every night, it is recommended to start with the lowest amount and gradually increase to find the dose that works for you. Most people experience minimal side effects from gummy melatonin, but some headaches, nausea, dizziness and irritability. It is best to stick to the lowest dose manageable to avoid some of these side effects. Gummy melatonin reaches a maximum concentration in your blood after 30 minutes. Therefore, it’s best to take your sleep aid 30 minutes before bedtime, but you can take a supplement for up to two hours beforehand.
Who can take a sleep gummy?
Melatonin is non-sedating, non-habit forming and most adults can use it effectively. However, some people should talk with their doctor before taking it.
- Before providing any melatonin product to a child, talk with their pediatrician first to discuss if it is the best option, and what dosage they should be taking.
- Pregnant women and those breastfeeding should avoid taking melatonin products, including gummy melatonin
- If you are taking any other medication, you should talk with your physician to ensure the gummy melatonin will not affect your existing prescriptions.
Which sleep aid gummy should you choose?
When choosing which gummy sleep aid to take, there are several factors you should take into consideration:
- First, talk with your physician if you are having trouble sleeping. You can discuss the best next steps and find out which products they recommend.
- Make sure the product you select is FDA approved.
- Review the customer reviews – how did other users feel when taking it?
- Review the product label – ensure that the label states exactly what is in each dose.
Before taking any sleep aid product or supplement, including gummy melatonin, you should first talk with your physician.