Chocolate Chips: Best and Worst Picks
With trade-outs like almond flour for white flour, coconut oil for butter and plant-based sweeteners for sugar, it’s entirely possible to create legitimately good-for-you baked goods. And now, the array of low- and no-sugar chocolate chip options makes it even easier to create a wholesome sweet treat.
Of course, if we’re only adding just a few chocolate chips per serving, it doesn’t really matter so much which variety we use. But since we now have better options available, we can (and should) do better. Every little bit adds up.
Read on for a list of my top picks for chocolate chips, as well as my least favorite options.
Best Picks for No-Sugar Chocolate Chips
- Varieties include: semi-sweet, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, chocolate salted caramel, butterscotch and white chocolate chips
- Per tablespoon (semi-sweet variety): 50 calories, 2 grams net carbs, 4 grams fiber, 0 grams sugar
- Ingredients include: Unsweetened chocolate, insulin (prebiotic fiber), erythritol (plant-based sweetener), rBST-free milk fat (rBST is a type of artificial growth hormone), cocoa butter, stevia
- Varieties include: dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter chips
- Per tablespoon: 70 calories, 6 grams net carbs, 5 grams fiber, 0 grams sugar
- Ingredients include: Milk chocolate (unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, whole milk powder), soluble corn fiber (Non-GMO Resistant Dextrin), sunflower lecithin, monk fruit extract, natural caramel flavor, Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans
365 Whole Foods Brand Sugar Fee Dark Chocolate Baking Chips
- Per tablespoon: 50 calories, 6 grams net carbs, 2 grams fiber, 0 grams sugar
- Ingredients include: Chocolate liqueur, erythritol, cocoa butter, sunflower lecithin, stevia
OK picks for low-sugar chocolate chips
- Varieties include: White chocolate, milk chocolate, semi-sweet, bittersweet, dark chocolate, and extra bittersweet
- 72% cacao
- Per tablespoon: 80 calories, 8 grams net carbs, 3 grams fiber, 6 grams sugar
- Ingredients include: Cacao beans, cane sugar, sunflower lecithin, vanilla
- Varieties include: Sweetened and unsweetened carob chips
- Dairy free
- Per tablespoon: 80 calories, 6 grams net carbs, 1 gram fiber, 6 grams sugar
- Ingredients include: Missy J's Carob Chips (organic palm oil, organic Australian carob powder, organic coconut sugar, organic sunflower lecithin, sea salt)
To schedule a nutrition consult, whether virtually or in-person, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 504-733-1600.
Worst picks for chocolate chips
- Varieties include: Semisweet and dark chocolate,
- Per tablespoon: 80 calories, 9 grams net carbs, 1 gram fiber, 7 grams sugar
- Ingredients include: Cane sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter
- Allergy friendly
Traditional Chocolate Chips
- Per tablespoon: 80 calories, 8 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber, 6 grams sugar
- Product examples: Hershey’s, Nestle Toll House
- Ingredients include: Chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, milkfat, nonfat milk, natural flavor
Editor’s note: Registered dietitian Molly Kimball offers brand-name products as a consumer guide; she does not solicit product samples nor is she paid to recommend items.