With the first day of fall soon approaching, tailgate parties and gatherings at homes will be springing up once again as football season fully kicks in. However, just because football season is underway doesn’t mean your sodium intake has to kick in as well.
In one of our recent “Love it, Like It, Hate it” segments, we address a tailgate party condiment favorite: buffalo wing sauce. Wing sauce and buffalo sauce can be delicious ways to spice up plain old chicken or shrimp, but some sauces can pack in half a day’s worth of sodium into just a couple of spoonfuls! To help prevent sodium overload, check out our best and worst picks for bottled hot wing sauce the next time you’re loading up at the grocery store for your next football viewing party.
Stubbs Wing Sauce
- Per tablespoon: 7 calories – 130 mg sodium – 4 grams carbs
- Ingredients include: vinegar, sugar, habanero peppers, pepper paste, tomato paste, etc.
Wing Time Buffalo Sauce – Mild
- Per tablespoon: 25 calories – 160 mg sodium – 1 gram carb
- Ingredients include: Hot sauce (cayenne peppers, vinegar, salt), tomato paste, soybean oil, parmesan, etc.
Wing Time Buffalo Sauce – Hot
- Per tablespoon: 25 calories – 280 mg sodium – 2 grams carbs
- Ingredients include: Hot sauce (cayenne peppers, vinegar, salt), soybean oil, tomato paste, red chili peppers, etc.
Nature’s Rancher Hot Wing Sauce
- Per tablespoon: 45 calories – 430 mg sodium – 1 gram carb
- Ingredients include: Hot sauce (cayenne peppers, vinegar, water, salt, garlic), soybean oil, butter, salt, etc.
Bella’s Spicy Garlic Wing Sauce
- Per tablespoon: 30 calories – 410 mg sodium – 2 grams carbs
- Ingredients include: chili puree, vinegar, soybean oil, salt, garlic powder, etc.
For more details on this topic, watch Molly’s full “Love it, Like it, Hate it” segment on WGNO New Orleans.