Summer Salad with Squash and Chard (Recipe)
The summer solstice is generally known to mark the first day of summer, except in the South when the summer starts (temperature-wise) in March. This is also the day where the Northern Hemisphere is tilted furthest away from the sun, which means it’s the most daylight of the year.
So make the most of the long day! Enjoy the outdoors and celebrate. This summer salad is the perfect addition to your long afternoon on the back porch with friends and family.
- Pecan Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup pecan oil
- 3 teaspoons distilled vinegar
- 1 dash table salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- Summer Salad
- 4 cups raw farm lettuce
- 4 cups chard
- 2 peeled raw cucumbers
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium squash, thinly cut
- 1-1.5 pounds of lean protein of choice
- To prepare vinaigrette, combine pecan oil and vinegar and whisk together.
- Add salt and pepper, then let stand for 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
- To prepare salad, tear farm lettuce and chard into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut peeled cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, and squash.
- Combine farm lettuce, chard and veggies in a large bowl. Pour pecan vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Place protein of choice atop lettuce and veggie mixture, drizzle remaining vinaigrette on top, and serve.