This recipe is very versatile and can be made with sliced eggplant, zucchini, or yellow squash! You can make a traditional-style lasagna, or individual roll-ups or even muffins.
Eggplant Lasagna (Recipe)
- 1 & 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 25-oz jar of Sal & Judy's Heart Smart Sauce
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium eggplant or 4 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8" thick
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cottage cheese
- 1 tsp Sal & Judy's Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Sal & Judy's Creole Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a medium sauce pan, brown the meat. Remove any excess fat, by straining in a colander. In the same pan, saute garlic and onion for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Return the meat to the pan, add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cover and simmer on low for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan. Slice the eggplant or zucchini into thin slices to resemble lasagna noodles. Grill on both sides until there are some nice grill marks - about a minute or so. This helps to remove any moisture so the lasagna isn't too watery.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the egg whites, cottage cheese, 1/4 tsp pepper, and Italian and Creole seasonings.
- Spray your 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray. In the bottom of the pan, spread around a little bit of the meat sauce. Then place a layer of the eggplant or zucchini on top. Spread a thin layer of the cheese mixture onto the vegetable layer. Repeat with meat sauce, vegetable slices, and cheese mixture for an additional layer. Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese evenly over the whole dish.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes and let stand for about 5-10 minutes before serving.