Crispy Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos (Recipe)
Whether you're thowing a dinner party or want to cook a meal for your family, carnitas tacos are a delicious and easy meal if you have some time for the slow cooker portion.
Fat10 grams fat
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time8 hours
YieldMakes 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon pecan oil
- 4 pounds pork loin
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 dash table salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup local beer
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tomato
- Lettuce for topping
- Cilantro to taste for topping
- Heat pecan oil in large skillet over high heat. Add pork and sear 2 minutes per side until browned. Transfer pork to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir carefully to combine ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until pork is completely tender and shreds easily with a fork.
- Once pork is cooked, preheat broiler to high heat and place aluminum foil on 2 baking sheets. Use fork to shred pork into bite-sized pieces. Use slotted spoon to spread pork in a single layer on the baking sheets. Reserve remaining broth from slow cooker.
- Place 1 baking sheet under the broiler for 5 minutes until the edges of the pork begin crisping. Remove baking sheet from under the broiler.
- Use spatula or tongs to toss pork. Ladle 1/4 cup of remaining slow cooker broth over pork.
- Broil pork for 5 minutes until more crispy. Remove baking sheet from under the broiler. Ladle an additional 1/4 cup of slow cooker broth over pork.
- Repeat with other baking sheet of pork. Serve pork in tortillas with tomato, lettuce and cilantro on top to taste, or cover and refrigerate or freeze.