How to Make Barbecue Jackfruit “Pulled Pork” Recipe
Jackfruit can be prepared savory or sweet. Most recipes call for packaged or canned jackfruit, which can be sautéed in a skillet along with spices and other ingredients. One popular way to prepare jackfruit is to make a faux pulled pork. The meaty texture of the jackfruit mixed with barbecue sauce will make you think you are eating the real deal! Here is a recipe for Jackfruit "Pulled Pork" that is as delicious as it is nutritious.
- 2 20-ounce cans of jackfruit
- 1 medium yellow or white onion
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup of barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup of water
- Drain and rinse both cans of jackfruit.
- Add olive oil to a medium-sized pan on medium heat. Add your onions and sauté until softened.
- Add in garlic and let cook for one minute.
- Add your rinsed jackfruit and 0regano to the pan and sauté for another three to five minutes.
- Add barbecue sauce and water to the pan and mix everything. Let this simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- While still on the stove, take two forks and shred the jackfruit. Let the shredded jackfruit cook for another 5 minutes or until it is lightly browned.
- Serve your jackfruit mixture on a bun or in a lettuce wrap for a healthier option. Top with your favorite toppings, such as coleslaw and pickles.
Look for canned jackfruit that is labeled as "young" or "packed in brine." These words indicate that it's unripe and suitable as a meat substitute.
Your jackfruit mixture can last in the refrigerator for up to five days, and you can reheat it on the stove or microwave.