Your First Trimester Checklist
Congratulations! You’re having a baby! As your pregnancy journey begins, getting a good start will help set you on the course for the smoothest pregnancy possible. The following checklist can navigate you through the first trimester:
- Choose a healthcare provider: If you don’t already have an Obstetrician, now is the time to find one. Do research to be sure you find a provider who makes you comfortable. It is important to have a physician who you feel like you are on the same page with.
- Plan your prenatal diet: For pregnant women, eating a healthy diet is important to ensure that both you and your baby are getting all of the needed nutrients. It is important to avoid overeating. In addition, stay away from raw proteins, fish high in mercury and unpasteurized dairy.
- Start taking prenatal vitamins: Throughout your pregnancy, supplements like B vitamins, folic acid and iron can play an important role in the health of both the mother and the baby. Talk with your doctor about what vitamins would be best for you before taking any supplements.
- Understand and manage your symptoms: Symptoms including nausea, fatigue and constipation are common in the first trimester of pregnancy. Be sure to consult your physician before taking any medications to manage these symptoms.
- Consider enrolling in prenatal classes: Classes covering topics from the labor and delivery experience, to postpartum care, and car seat safety, can offer new moms a great deal of insight as they begin their pregnancy journey. Click here for a list of classes offered here at Ochsner.