Trader Joe’s in Metairie has a plethora of pre-made party foods, sweets and treats that give New Orleans area residents new grocery options, but many of them aren’t exactly what you’d call nutritious. Ochsner’s Registered Dietitian, Molly Kimball, provides her five top food finds at Trader Joe’s that are unique, nutritious and make great substitutes to traditional sides and appetizers. Give these a try the next time you visit the store!
1. Beet Hummus
- With ingredients including garbanzo beans and diced beets, beet hummus has 1/3 fewer calories than traditional hummus.
- Serve with fresh veggies or grilled chicken for dipping. Use it as a spread on a sandwich or a wrap.
- Per 2 tablespoons: 45 calories – 100 mg sodium – 4 grams carb – 1 gram fiber – 2 grams sugar – 1 gram protein
2. Goat Cheese Medallions
- Goat cheese is one of the lower-sodium cheeses, but portion control is a common downfall for this spreadable creamy treat, so we love the built-in portion control of these individually-wrapped medallions.
- Per serving: 70 calories – 3.5 grams sat fat – 60 mg sodium – 1 gram carb – 0 fiber – 0 sugar – 5 grams protein
- With the beet hummus and goat cheese, you’ll need something for dipping and spreading. Try these crunchy little jicama sticks for a change from the usual carrots and celery sticks.
- Per 7 sticks: 30 calories – 0 fat – 0 sodium – 7 grams carb – 4 grams fiber – 2 grams sugar - <1 gram protein
4. Riced Cauliflower: “Nothing but Cauliflower”
- Cup-for-cup, riced cauliflower has about 80% fewer carbs than cooked rice. Check out Hungry Girl’s recipe ideas for Trader Joe’s riced cauliflower!
- Per 2/3 cup: 25 calories – 25 mg sodium – 4 grams carb – 2 grams fiber – 2 grams sugar – 2 grams protein
- Misto Alla Gridlia has ingredients including marinated grilled eggplant, zucchini and red peppers. This is an easy side dish for dinner or you can add it to your favorite salad or serve it up with a party platter of grilled veggies.
- Per serving (4 servings per bag): 90 calories – 8 grams fat – 270 mg sodium – 5 grams carb – 2 grams fiber – 3 grams sugar – 1 gram protein
For more details on this topic, read the full article on wgno.com.