Taking Care of Your Dad Bod
June is Men’s Health month and the purpose is to heighten the awareness of preventable medical problems and encourage early detection and treatment among men.
Chronic medical diseases like diabetes, obesity, hypertension, heart disease and high cholesterol are some of the common problems causing men to die prematurely while in the prime of their life.
Men can combat these diseases and protect their dad bods by following these three simple tips:
- Find a doctor. Choose one you're comfortable with, so you can openly discuss all aspects of your health.
- See that doctor. Just because you are feeling well doesn’t mean you are well.
- Get informed. You do want to be knowledgeable and understand that you shouldn’t ignore symptoms or complaints, but you don’t want to self-diagnose .
Also know what screenings you need and at what age you need them.
- Blood Pressure Screenings should be checked once a year. If the top number is greater than 140 or the bottom number is greater than 90, schedule an appointment with your provider.
- Cholesterol Screening and Heart Disease Prevention should be checked every 5 years.
- Prostate Screenings should start at age 45.
- Cancer experts have lowered the age for your first colon screening, from 50 to 45 years of age, because colon cancer is rising in younger people.
Take care of your dad bod this Father’s Day, and make sure it’s in tip top shape. Visit your primary care doctor for regular checkups and screenings.