What is kombucha?
Kombucha is a naturally-carbonated beverage made by fermenting yeasts and bacteria with tea, resulting in a probiotic-rich drink with just about 60 calories per 16-ounce bottle.
Why is it good for you?
- Can help promote overall health due to its detoxification, antioxidant and energizing properties
- May enhance sleep and pain tolerance
- Has probiotic benefits, which helps with digestion
Support local kombucha
"Unique in the kombucha world, we employ a New Orleans-based forager to obtain regional ingredients like blueberries, strawberries and mayhaws to flavor our kombucha. By sourcing local fruit, we can keep both our sugar content and carbon footprint low. A lot of beverages in the functional space rely on artificial flavors or fruit purees. And, since we opened Louisiana's first kombucha brewery in November, folks can come in, learn about the process, refill their growlers, take healthy shots with us and taste super-seasonal flavors that we only offer in the taproom based on whatever's fresh at the moment."
Note: Kombucha is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding; it can contain trace amounts of alcohol.
Kombucha with no added sugar
Big Easy Bucha Cajun Kick Kombucha (with citrus, ginger and cayenne)
- Per 16-ounce serving: 80 calories, 20 grams carbohydrate, 8 grams sugar, 0 protein
GT’s Enlightened Organic Raw Kombucha – plain or flavored (e.g. Gingerade, Bilberry)
- Per 16-ounce bottle: 60 calories, 14 grams carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 grams sugar, 0 protein
GT’s Enlightened Synergy Chia Kombucha (kombucha and chia seeds)
- Per 16-ounce bottle: 140 calories, 14 grams carbohydrate, 8 grams fiber, 4 grams sugar, 4 grams protein
TheBu Kombucha (in flavors like Honeydew, Tropical, Lavender, Tangerine)
- Made with kombucha, green tea and cane juice
- Per 14-ounce bottle: 50 calories, 12 grams carbohydrate, 10 grams sugar, 0 protein
- Made with kombucha, green tea and cane sugar
- Per 14-ounce bottle: 70 calories, 18 grams carbohydrate, 10 grams sugar, 0 protein
- Made with kombucha, cane juice and stevia
- Per 12-ounce bottle: 60 calories, 13 grams carbohydrate, 13 grams sugar, 0 protein
NOTE: This is still an excellent product, full of raw, living probiotic cultures. But, among the selection on the shelves, it’s the highest in sugar.
- Made with kombucha and cane juice
- Per 16-ounce bottle: 100 calories, 24 grams carbohydrate, 22 grams sugar, 0 protein
For more details on this topic, read the full article on wgno.com.